Alon Cohen (alon)

Summary of the NE Sponsored Session at FNCE: How to Create an Online Business

NE = Nutrition Entrepreneurs; FNCE = Nutrition trade show.

Reported by Nancy Clark, MS RD CSSD

The 2007 FNCE session sponsored by Nutrition Entrepreneur’s was “Thriving in a Virtual Business Landscape”, presented by NE members, website developers and Internet gurus Nadine Fisher MS RD and Teresa Pangan PhD RD.

Nadine described a virtual business model and the benefits of having a virtual business. These benefits include:

• enjoying rent-free office space
  • a one minute (or less) commute to work
  • freedom to work on a flexible time schedule
  • fewer expenses, such as business clothes and lunches out
  • ability to help save the environment (by using less gasoline).

Yet, despite all these advantages to working at home, the disadvantages cannot be overlooked:

• less social interaction
  • no separation of work and personal lives
  • frustration when the Internet “goes down”
  • feeling like you are on duty 24/7
  • disciplining yourself to work when you really want to clean the house

Once you have decided you want to develop a virtual business, you need to find your niche and figure out how to market to that group. For example, if you are marketing to teens, you likely want to have a presence on websites popular with teenagers. Marketing ideas include pod casts, e-newsletters, and advertisements on the websites frequented by your audience.

If you want to do web counseling, Nadine recommends you check out www.BitWine.com. This website offers free listing for RDs who want to do virtual counseling.

After Nadine’s talk that outlined the basics of a home-based virtual business, Teresa Pangan presented her “real life” story of her experiences with her virtual business. Teresa shared some of the mistakes she made, and suggests that anyone who wants to start a virtual business should first ask:

• Can I sit at the computer and work for long periods of time?
  • Do I need frequent social interaction or am I content to work on my own?
  • Do I have the patience to lean new technology on a weekly basis?
  • Where do I want to end up with my business?

Teresa emphasized the importance of having:

• a defined work area that is separate from family space
  • defined work times, that include a starting and a stopping time
  • a “company policy” on activities permitted during work time (such as, no coffee with your neighbor who stopped by to chat)
  • an exercise/self-care program to take care of your mental and physical self
  • the ability to set limits and tell clients when you can help them, so you do not get consumed by a 24/7 schedule.
  • a well-organized email system with clear headings in the subject line and “to do” folders and “done” folders with the archives.
  • technical support (techno-husbands/friends can be very handy!) or interest in taking computer classes either online or at community.
  • reliable contractors that have the knowledge you lack

Teresa offered these tips regarding e-mail:

• Set times to check emails, and tell your clients about your email schedule.
  • If the email ends up requiring more than three responses, pick up the phone and talk to the person, being sure to first ask, “Is this a good time to talk or should we arrange another time?”
  • Schedule long phone calls in advance. After the phone call, write a summary of the conversation and e-mail it for documentation.

Both Nadine and Teresa offered hope and inspiration to nutrition entrepreneurs who are contemplating starting their business from home. For additional information, see their handouts at www.eatright.org (Monday Morning Meeting 8:00 to 9:30 am).

NE member Nancy Clark, MS RD CSSD is author of Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook (www.nancyclarkrd.com) and chair of the NE Author Specialty Group.

over 16 years ago